(in Spanish, sometimes Vicencio or Vicente Carducho; 1568-1638) was an Italian painter.
He was born in Florence, and was trained as a painter by his brother Bartolomeo, whom he followed to Madrid as a boy.
He Initially painted some works at Valladolid and helped his brother in painting at the Escorial for Philip II of Spain. He returned to the court of Philip III in Madrid in 1606 and helped decorate the recently rebuilt Palacio del Pardo. While at work his brother died, and Vicente took his place. He painted there a history of Achilles. When finished, he was employed for four years by the monks of the Chartreuse of el Paular to decorate their monastery with 55 canvases of historical figures the great cloister. 27 represent the live of St. Bruno, 27 of martyrs.
He worked a great deal for the subsequent monarch, Philip IV, and his best pictures are those he executed for him as decorations in the Prado. Examples of his work are preserved at Toledo, Segovia, and several other Spanish cities. For many years he labored in Madrid as a teacher of his art, and among his pupils were Giovanni Ricci, Pedro Obregon, Vela,[disambiguation needed ] Francisco Collantes, and other distinguished representatives of the Spanish school during the 17th century.
He also authored a treatise, De las Excelencias de la Pintura or Dielogos de la pintura, su defensa, origen, essencia, definicien, modos, y differencias, published in 1633. Written in classical tradition as a dialogue between a master and an apprentice. Following strict piety of the Spanish realm,
Related Paintings of Vicente Carducho :. | Barber Extracting of Tooth. | Parable of the Lost Drachma | Bardi Altarpiece (mk36) | Mrs. William Allen | The Cat's Paw |
Related Artists:Horatio Mcculloch
Scottish Landscape painter ,1805-1867
Scottish painter. He was trained in the studio of the Glasgow landscape painter John Knox (1778-1845) and at first earned his living as a decorative painter. By the early 1830s McCulloch's exhibits with the Glasgow Dilettanti Society and with the Royal Scottish Academy had begun to attract buyers, notably the newly instituted Association for the Promotion of the Fine Arts in Scotland. Commissions from book and print publishers allowed him to concentrate on easel painting. On his election as full Academician of the Scottish Academy in 1838, McCulloch settled in Edinburgh and soon became a prominent figure in the artistic life of the capital and a prolific contributor to the Royal Scottish Academy exhibitions. At the same time contact with Glasgow was maintained: McCulloch's favourite sketching grounds were in the west, he exhibited regularly in the city and his most loyal patrons were wealthy Glasgow industrialists such as David Hutcheson (1799-1881), the steamship owner. He seldom exhibited outside Scotland and only once at the Royal Academy, London (1843), but he kept in touch with London artist-friends, John Phillip, David Roberts and John Wilson (1774-1855), through correspondence and visits. His own art collection was evidence of his admiration for 17th-century Dutch painters, for J. M. W. Turner and Richard Wilson.Floris van Schooten
(1590-1655), was a Dutch Golden Age still life painter.
According to the RKD, Van Schooten was the son of a leading Catholic family of Amsterdam who came to live in Haarlem in 1612. During that period, many Catholic families left Amsterdam where the Protestants had the upper hand in local government, for Haarlem, where the climate for Catholicism was more tolerant. The young Van Schooten became a member of the Haarlem Guild of St. Luke and married the daughter of a leading beer brewer there, Rycklant Bol van Zanen. Together they had 3 daughters and a son Johannes, who also became a painterJohn Alonzo Williams
American , 1869-1951